- Breakfast Meeting
- Dinner Joint
- Football games
- Golf Ring Knocker
- Happy Hour Social
- Joint Academy Tour
- Last Call
- Memorial Day Civic Project
- Memorial Day Weekend Dinner & Concert
- Monthly Quarterly Luncheon
- Parents Club Picnic
- Service Academy Golf
- US Navy Band Concert
- Watch Party
Fellow Kansas City Alumni:
It is my sad duty to pass along to you and it was in the Kansas City Star on Sunday, March 24, 2019, the obituary of attorney John Owen age 89, USNA Class of ‘52, with his passing on March 21. He was a naval aviator, served in the Korean War, and was a prominent businessman, attorney, and civic leader in Kansas City. He is survived by his wife Billie of 58 years, three daughters and four grandchildren. His law degree was from the University of Missouri ‘61.
His service to the Kansas City community was of great distinction:
* Board of the Missouri Bar Association
* Estate Planning Society of Kansas City
* Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
* Chairman of the Board of the Salvation Army
* President of the Liberty Memorial Association
* Board of Trustees of the Kansas City Art Institute
* Treasurer of the Board of Education, Kansas City School District
* Boards of: Research Hospital, Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Sunset Hill/Pembroke Hill School, Carriage Club, University Club, Central Methodist College
He was past Executive Vice President of Commerce Bank, President and Chairman of Board of Plaza Bank and Trust, member of Country Club United Methodist Church.
A funeral service will be on Monday, March 25, at Mt. Moriah, Newcomer, and Freeman Funeral
Home with full military honors at 1:00 PM, followed by a reception.
There also will be a celebration of life at Country Club United Methodist Church (400 West 57th Street, Kansas City, MO) on Sunday April 7 at 3:00 PM.
Bob Culler ’74
President Greater Kansas City Metro Chapter
The memorial service for Edwin M. Chapline ’48 will be on Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at Christ Church Anglican in Overland Park, KS at 3:00 PM. Since Ed was a very active member of our chapter there will be quite a few USNA alumni attending his memorial service.
Ed served on the battleship USS Missouri BB-63 and was designated a Naval Aviator in 1952 and flew in VS-38 ASW Squadron during his 10 year Navy career, which ended in 1958 as a Navy Reservist. He was a Korean War veteran.
Ed was a member of the Naval Academy Alumni Association President’s Circle since its inception in 1995 and also was a member of the Roberts Means Thompson Society for his philanthropy to the Naval Academy Foundation. He regularly attended Navy football games home and away including many Army-Navy games.
See the attached obituary for details on the Memorial Service and more about Ed’s career and family.
His obituary was in the Kansas City Star on Wednesday, March 28, 2018.